Botox (Onobotulinumtoxin A) has emerged as one of the most commonly sought after procedures in the cosmetic industry. Botox can be used as both a corrective and preventative treatment. In addition to softening fine lines, wrinkles, and minimizing strong facial expressions, Botox can be used to lift, slim, or reshape the face. Strategic placement of Botox in carefully selected muscle groups can give a happier, well rested and rejuvenated appearance. Botox also has therapeutic uses including treatment of migraines and hyperhidrosis (excessive perspiration).
Mechanism: Botox is a neuromodulator that temporarily blocks nerves impulses and thereby relaxes the injected muscles, effectively eliminating or reducing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and strong facial expressions. In addition to the cosmetic effects, Botox can disrupt nerve impulses that result in headaches, jaw clenching, and excessive sweating.
Procedure Time: 5-10min
Onset of Action: Results can be seen as early as 2 days, and at reach maximal effect by 2 weeks.
Duration: 3-4 months
- Forehead lines
- Frown lines
- Crow’s Feet (lateral to the eyes)
- Nasal bunny lines
- Nasal flare
- Gummy smile (to decrease exposures of gums while smiling)
- Smokers lines (fine lines above or below the lips)
- Downturned smile (sad face)
- Facial slimming (thinning of the masseter muscles)
- Platysmal bands (vertical neck bands)
- Neck lines (horizontal neck lines)
- Bruxism (jaw clenching)
- Hyperhidrosis (excessive underarm and hand perspiration)
Actual patients, before and after Botox. Image credit Allergan.